Sunday, July 8, 2012

Oatmeal S'more Cookies


I finally got my Mother's Day present! A classic KitchenAid Mixer! I got my cookbooks right out to find something to make with it and test it out. I thought cookies would be a good start since they are simple but require thorough mixing... and Lana can help too! I got all the Taste of Home June/July issues that have been collecting dust on my bookshelf out and promptly found a recipe for Oatmeal S'more Cookies. Sort of a chocolate chip cookie that gets some oatmeal, chocolate chips and mini marshmallows tossed in to resemble the campfire favorite. Here's a copy of the recipe if you would like to try them:


Oatmeal S'more Cookies 
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup miniature marshmallows

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, chocolate chips and marshmallows.

Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1-2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

Yield: about 6 dozen


I loved how when they cooked the marshmallows on top of the cookies got brown and bubbly like a roasted campfire marshmallow! It made seven dozen batches so I packed up a few dozen and sent them to family members for taste testing. Now lets see how much of a dent I can make into my massive dessert recipe collection...

No comments:

Post a Comment