Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chocolate Toffee Cookies


There's nothing like homemade cookies. Now don't get me wrong. I love a good Double-Stuff Oreo, Girl Scout Samoa or E.L Fudge Cookie in a pinch...but there is still nothing like a homemade cookie. My Dad is a bonafide Cookie Monster so cookies are something I have grown up with. Cookies have the ability to please so many people on a wide-spread scale that it is amazing. There are chewy, crispy, crunchy, chunky, gooey, no-bake, soft... the possibilities to please are endless!

These particular cookies fall into the crispy chewy category. Crispy cookie with chewy toffee bits in it. Kind of like a Heath bar cookie. I happened to have almost all the ingredients for these already in the pantry so it made a perfect selection for my weekend baking treat!

Chocolate-Toffee Cookies
(from the American Test Kitchen Magazine)

2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 bag (8 ounces) chopped milk chocolate toffee pieces (such as Hershey's Heath Bar baking pieces)

1. Heat oven to 375°. Coat baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.


2. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium-size bowl; set aside.

3. In a large bowl, beat together butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla.

4. On low speed, gradually add in flour mixture. Beat for 2 minutes or until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and toffee pieces.

5. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets and bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until golden. Cool baking sheets on wire racks for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.

Hints and Tips: I used mini semisweet chocolate chips in mine. I wanted the chocolate to be spread throughout the cookie instead of in chunks, plus that's what I had in the pantry to use. Coat your baking sheets very thoroughly with cooking spray! The toffee in the cookies will stick to your pans even with the spray and I can't imagine how difficult (or I should say even more difficult) they would have been to remove from the baking sheets. My cookies got too brown cooking at 12 minutes so I reduced to 11 minutes. This also helped with removing them from the pans. Bake the first pan according to the directions and then adjust cooking times depending on your oven performance.

Even with all the drama of removing the cookies from the pan (I only had two of the 4 dozen fall to pieces on me) these cookies were a huge hit! My husband and daughter loved them and the 3 dozen I took to work disappeared before lunch time. The next time I do make them, I might try cooking them on parchment-lined baking sheets. Sometimes that will make the cookie softer and it will lose the crispy texture. I guess I will just have to try it out and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment