Tuesday, April 5, 2016

My Little Pony Sprinkle Cake

In the fall of 2013, my oldest daughter decided that she wanted to have a My Little Pony birthday party.  I was in the middle of my pregnancy - one that was going much smoother due to my taking it easier this time around - so I decided to have a small family affair at my parent's house.  It was a great time with food, family and a few close friends.

On the agenda was making candy necklaces, a piñata (something my husband insisted on even though our daughter was terrified of them) and a sprinkle-themed pony cake.  It was the perfect little party to celebrate our little girl getting another year older.



The candy necklaces were a huge hit with the kids!  I got small cookies, pretzels, gummi rings and cereal for them to make their own creations.  I would really like to do this again once Lana starts having sleepovers.  How fun would it be to make them before they all crawled into their sleeping bags for a movie marathon?  And since they are custom made, each girl would have exactly what they wanted to munch on for film viewing.  Here are Lana and her friends with their completed creations.  What a bunch of cuties!




Lana really enjoyed this party.  She does a lot better with smaller parties.  She gets a bit overwhelmed as the guest list grows.  Her party for the following year was pretty extravagant, the mixture of a large group of children, heat and activity was really too much for her.  Of course this was the year we tried inviting a ton of kids from her pre-school class and we have now learned from that experience.  Enough about that for now though, I will post about that party at another time.  Here is a picture of my husband showing Lana how to hit a pinata.  She was terrified!  She has sat out of piñata participation at parties since.




So that sums up most of the party games, on to the cake!  Lana's cake seemed simple enough.  A two-tiered yellow cake with vanilla buttercream and completely covered in multi-colored sprinkles.  All seemed good and well until the sprinkles hit the floor - literally.  The night before her birthday, I was constructing the cake.  Stacking went well, icing went well, and then came time for the sprinkles.  As I was covering the cake, my elbow hit the large tub of multi-colored jimmies I had sitting on the counter and deposited them all over my kitchen floor.   The sound of hundreds pieces of candy colored sugar pieces hitting the linoleum was not a welcome sound.  I blame pregnancy clumsiness.




Luckily, most of the cake had been covered by this point and I had an extra tub of sprinkles in the pantry.  A little sweeping, a few more handfuls of sprinkles and the cake was finished.  We decided to use Lana's miniatures on the cake to reference the My Little Pony theme.  Can you tell if she liked it?



Well that wraps up Lana's fourth birthday!  One of the best parties we ever had and it was all due to my pregnancy forcing it to be a laid back small affair.  I really should have learned from this.  Instead I decided that her fifth party would be an over-the-top guest-filled extraordinary event.  How did that turn out?  Stay tuned to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment