Saturday, December 22, 2012

Lego Star Wars Cake


In a workplace far far away.... I was asked to do another Lego cake! This time I was asked to do a Lego Star Wars cake for a nine year old's birthday. Since I have a Star Wars groom's cake in talks right now, I thought this would be a good starting point!

The client asked for an eight inch round chocolate cake with an edible death star topper and the Lego Star Wars logo on the side. They also were going to supply me with some little Star Wars Lego men to put on top. Now some people are talented enough to sculpt these babies, I am not included in this group of talented people! So plastic will do just fine!

The first challenge of the cake was the death star. I decided to use a rice krispies treat base covered in modeling chocolate and finally covered in fondant. Then finish decorating with fondant pieces. I whipped up some rice krispies treats and shaped them into a ball. I let the ball sit overnight to harden. Then I made some modeling chocolate and covered the hardened treat. The modeling chocolate layer helps create a smooth base for the fondant to lay against - don't want a lumpy bumpy death star! Finally I covered it in fondant. This part went pretty well. The death star was looking pretty impressive in my book for a first time attempt of working with rice krispie/modeling chocolate/fondant sculpture.

Then came the decorating.... nightmare! I couldn't get the fondant to go on a sphere and line up! So I decided just to mix it up and put different sizes on there to hide the fact I couldn't get any straight lines on this thing! I wasn't too pleased with the final product but everyone (even non-Star Wars fans) could identify what it was so I decided I was judging myself too harshly. Final touch was the "death ray." I simple took a plastic straw and cut half of it into pieces I could stick around the death star crater. Props to my friend Mike for brainstorming with me at work on this ingenious idea!


Once that was complete, I baked up two delicious eight-inch chocolate fudge cake layers. Whipped up some blue buttercream frosting and put the cake together. Then I attached the death star with some dowels to stabilize and added some "stars" with white pearl sprinkles. Then it was time to do the logo!

I found a copy of the logo on the internet and printed it the size I wanted it. Then I cut out all the pieces and used them as templates to cut out and piece together the fondant logo. I have a crafting knife that is specifically for projects like this. You need something sharp and clean to make exact cuts into the fondant. The logo turned out awesome! It was seriously my favorite part of the cake!


I especially liked the Lego symbol. I almost didn't do all the layering of the colors for it - boy am I glad that I changed my mind!


I attached the fondant logo to the cake with some more blue buttercream frosting. Then I piped a traditional border around the bottom, added a few more stars and positioned the storm troopers on top. It was complete! Definitely going to need to work more on this modeling medium. Thank goodness I have a few months to practice for the Star Wars themed groom's cake! Of course I'm going to need him to settle on a design to be able to practice...


So that's all for now. I hope that everyone has wonderful holidays and a stupendous New Years! Next cake on the books is a Care Bear Cake for my adorable niece's fourth birthday. See you in the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment